For those seeking organic gardening and farming products, Arbico Organics is the go-to online supplier of growing supplies, pest control, and weed control products.
The 20th century saw major developments in farming and agriculture. Mechanization allowed farmers to produce higher yields of crops and in a shorter space of time.
The advances in chemical pesticides escalated during World War 2 and were outwardly extremely beneficial in protecting valuable crops from infestations. Gardeners were encouraged to produce food at home and on allotments and many employed the use of chemicals to avoid loss of plants.
Alongside these advancements, growing environmental concerns surfaced and a renewed interest in natural and organic methods of gardening and farming became more popular.
Arbico Organics (AR) was at the forefront of this change of focus and have continued to expand their product range to assist organic gardeners and farmers.
Rick Frey started his business in 1979 alongside his wife who had a special interest in environmental issues. They built on their belief in advocating a state of what they termed ‘bio-balance’ by developing natural ways of controlling pests.
On their 10-acre site in Arizona, the couple set about developing a program of rearing parasitic insects to naturally limit flies infesting farms and gardens.
Today, the insectary produces many more beneficial insects which contribute to the now extensive range of products.
The company has expanded over 40 years in business to provide natural solutions to pest problems affecting gardens, dairies, farms, livestock, and domestic pets.
Success relies on producing and maintaining healthy crops, plants, and animals as well as directly eliminating parasites and other pests.
They supply organic fungicides, nutrients, antibacterial products as well as insecticides, beneficial insects, and other pest control supplies.
AR has a very full range of organic growing supplies for soil enrichment including compost, fertilizers, plant food, and potting medium.
The company also stocks territorial vegetable seeds such as carrots, cabbages, beans, salad vegetables, and tomatoes.
To protect plants and lawns, the company sells many organic weed killers and herbicides which are non-toxic to pets and humans.
They have built up a reputation for some 40 years for supplying live insects directly from their home base in Arizona.
Years of research and development into what Arbico term, ‘integrated pest management’ have allowed customers to benefit from the company’s knowledge and advice.
Each type of insect has a different role in preventing or reducing pest infestations.
- Parasites. These act by burrowing in eggs and larvae and destroying them and, after hatching, by feeding on nymphs and adult pests. Parasitic wasps have been supplied by them from the early days of the company. Beneficial microscopic nematodes introduced into the soil have the same parasitic function on underground larvae.
- Predators. Assassin bugs are specialized predators that use a sticky resin on their legs to trap prey before feeding on them. Hugely successful pest-eaters like ladybugs, praying mantises and lacewings are a boon to organic farmers and gardeners and are also regularly supplied by Arbico.
Diseases that damage plants and crops can be classified under 3 headings: bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
- Bacteria can result in various forms of blight, leaf spot, scabbing, yellowing, and wilt.
- Fungi assist the decomposition of plant life and have been utilized in the production of antibiotics and household products. These organisms have a positive role on the environment but for gardeners can produce rust, mold, and mildew. Fruit and fruit trees are particularly vulnerable.
- Viruses caused by sap-eating insect pests can weaken and wilt plants rapidly.
AR stocks a range of biological remedies to these common problems in the form of dilutable liquids or ready-to-use sprays. Several of them contain Neem Oil, in pure form or mixed with other remedial properties.
Neem oil is a natural insecticide derived from the seeds of the Neem tree originating in the Indian subcontinent. Known for centuries as a pesticide, it also contains antibacterial and antifungal components, and therefore effective against all three causes of plant disease.
Organic disinfectants and cleaning aids are also available to keep areas free of spores and pests.
AR first started rearing and selling these parasitic insects when they set up their business in 1979. The demand for fly eliminators grew very rapidly and encouraged Rick Frey and his wife to develop more organic pesticides and garden products.
These are tiny parasitic wasps used to break the life cycle of developing pest flies that breed in manure and household waste areas.
Farms and facilities with livestock and food production premises are benefited most by setting up a fly eliminator program. The company aims to supply live fly eliminators to a regular timetable to help reduce the fly population throughout the active season.
The female parasitic wasps seek out fly pupae in rotting material and deposit their eggs inside the pupae where they hatch out and feed. Unable to grow, the life-cycle of the flies is disrupted and the numbers are reduced.
After the eliminators emerge, they will mate and reproduce to deal with more flies. However, for effective long-term control, the company encourages regular fresh supplies.
Arbico is now long-established as major suppliers of natural pesticides and organic products. As they have expanded, they have also curated a large number of other well-known organic brands most of which can be ordered online.
- Monterey Lawn and Garden is a trusted supplier of products containing Neem oil as well as other herbicides and insecticides.
- Maxicrop, Arborjet, and Neptune’s Harvest are some of the brands specializing in plant nutrition.
- Brandt Organics provides products for farms, large-scale gardening, and livestock facilities.
The choices are wide and include other products for animal care and wellbeing as well as general garden supplies and equipment.
Chemical pesticides are still used worldwide as effective solutions to infestations that damage crops and plants and much research has gone into these non-biological remedies.
However, as pests become resistant to chemical sprays and environmental concerns move more to the fore, biological pest control has gained popular support.
For the gardener, the resurgence of organic methods has meant that many natural alternatives are now available and Arbico-Organics.com is the go-to premium online organic supplier.